National Grilling Month - Safety Tips
July is National Grilling Month - so break out the barbie and let's get cooking. Before you touch your grill keep these safety tips in mind. Why? Because according to the National Fire Protection Association, each year an average of 8,900 home fires are caused by grilling, and close to half of all injuries involving grills are due to thermal burns. To ensure you grill safe this month, here are some safety tips as you’re firing up the charcoal or propane grills:
- Most grills should only be used outdoors. This goes for all charcoal and propane grills.
- The grill should be placed away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill area to avoid accidents.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
- If you’re using a propane grill and you smell gas, turn the burners and propane off. If you continue to smell gas, call 911 immediately and clear the area.